You’re in the right place to discover all you need to know about the best ways to transfer content from Microsoft Word to Canva.
Note that the process is different if you wish to import designs from Canva to Word.
Ways To Copy Content From Word To Canva
The best way to copy from Word to Canva is to import or upload the whole Word Document file to Canva.
Save your Word Document in DOCX format to your desktop folder. Click on Create A Design button in Canva and click Import File, then select your Word Document to open in Canva.
Method 1: Copy And Paste
In this method, you can copy and paste multiple pages of text from Word to Canva. Or you can copy and paste only selected text from Word to Canva in separate text boxes. Here are the steps to follow:
Step 1: Copy Text
Highlight or select text on all pages in Word Document by pressing the keyboard shortcut Command + A on Mac.
Or Ctrl + A on Windows.
Your highlighted or selected text on multiple pages in Word Document may look something like that:
Copy all text by using keyboard shortcuts Command + C on Mac.
Or Ctrl + C on Windows
Step 2: Start A Doc
Go to Canva Home, and click on the Create A Design button.
Then, select Doc.
Step 3: Paste Text
In your new Canva Doc, delete all existing sample text and content if any.
Paste all text from Word to Canva by pressing the keyboard shortcut Command + V on Mac.
Or Ctrl + V on Windows
Now your Canva Doc may look something like that:
Next, you may change the font if you want to and edit text spacing to match
If you have an existing design in Canva and wish to only copy and paste some text from Word to Canva, just copy the selected text into your Word Document.
Then, go to your design, click on the text box, or create a new one. Then right-click and select Paste from the popup menu, or press Command + V for Mac users, Ctrl + V on Windows
Pros and Cons
- Pros: Fast and straightforward.
- Cons: Works well for text only
Method 2: Import Word Document
Sometimes, your Word Document includes images, pictures, and more than just text. With this method, you will be able to convert your whole Word Document to Canva. Here are the steps to follow:
Step 1: Save As .DOCX
In Microsoft Word, go to the top menu bar and select File, and select Save As from the drop-down menu.
In the dialog box that opens up, choose .DOCX as the file type. Then, save the document by clicking the Save button.
Step 2: Upload Word Document
Open Canva, select Create A Design button.
Go to the bottom of the drop-down panel to where it says “Start creating from your media”, and click on the Import File button.
By the way, the Christiano Ronaldo pictures are not from Canva. I’ve been printing them for my son, and got them from the web for personal use.
I digressed, back to this tutorial, the next thing is to select the Word Document .DOCX file from your desktop folder and click the Open button.
Your document will open up as a Canva page design. Next, adjust the layout to match the original design you had in Word. You can edit the text, and images from your Word Document just like how you do it in any Canva design.
Pros and Cons
- Pros: Direct integration into Canva, simplified process.
- Cons: Might strip some formatting, works best for plain text.
Method 3: Upload As A PDF
Other than converting Word to Canva, you may wish to try saving a PDF version of your file and uploading it to Canva. Here are the steps to follow:
Step 1: Save As PDF
In Microsoft Word, go to File and select Save As.
Choose PDF as the file type. Then, save the PDF document by clicking the Export button.
Step 2: Upload PDF
Select the Create A Design button.
Go to the bottom of the drop-down panel and click on the Import File button.
Select the PDF file from your desktop folder and click the Open button.
Next, go to the Recent Designs section in Canva Homepage, you will see your PDF file imported to Canva. Double-click the thumbnail.
Your document will open up as a Canva page design. Next, adjust the layout to match the original design you had in Word. You can edit the text, and images from the PDF just like how you do it in any Canva design.
Pros and Cons
- Pros: Preserves formatting and content
- Cons: Might require adjustments in Canva
Word To Canva: Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Upload A Word Document To Canva?
Yes, you can upload a Word Document to Canva and be able to edit the contents like you do for any Canva design. However, there are some restrictions.
You will have to upload the Word Document using the Import File function and you can only upload a Word Document to Canva if it is smaller than 100 MB in size.
How Do I Copy From Word To Canva?
You can copy from Word to Canva by selecting the text in Word, and copying it by using the keyboard shortcut Command + C on Mac or Ctrl + C on Windows. Then, go to Canva Docs and paste the text by using the keyboard shortcut Command + V on Mac or Ctrl + V on Windows.
How Do I Upload A Document To Canva?
The easiest way to upload a document to Canva is to go to Canva Home, select Create A Design, then scroll down the drop-down menu to select Import File. Then select and open your document in Canva.
How Do I Edit A Word In Canva?
Editing text in Canva is a straightforward process, allowing you to customize your designs to fit your vision and message. Here’s a step-by-step guide to editing a word in Canva:
- Navigate to Your Design:
- Open Canva in your web browser or app.
- Select the design that contains the word or text you wish to edit. If starting a new design, simply choose a template or a blank design.
- Locate the Text Box:
- Once your design is open, look for the text box that contains the word you want to edit.
- Edit the Word:
- Click on the text box to make it active. This will show a cursor.
- Navigate to the word or section of the text you want to edit.
- Make your edits just as you would in any word processing program, whether that’s deleting, adding, or replacing text.
- Formatting Options:
- With the text or word selected, you’ll see a toolbar at the top of the screen.
- Use this toolbar to change font type, size, color, letter spacing, and more.
- Additionally, you can use the sidebar on the left to choose pre-formatted text styles available in Canva.
- Advanced Text Editing:
- If you want to make more advanced edits, go to the Canva text editor toolbar above your design. This will give you additional options like text transform (to capitalize, make all letters uppercase, etc.), adding bullet points, and adjusting line height.
- Finalize Your Edits:
Tip: If you’re looking to add new text to your design, simply click on the “Text” option on the left sidebar in Canva. From there, you can drag and drop various text styles or click on “Add a heading,” “Add a subheading,” or “Add a little bit of body text” to insert new text boxes.
How Do I Import Text Into Canva?
You can import text into Canva by first exporting the text into PDF from any of your text editors such as Word Document, Google Docs, etc.
Then, go to Canva Home, select Create A Design, then scroll down the drop-down menu to select Import File. Then select and open your PDF file in Canva. Your text will be imported to Canva.
How Do I Import A Text File Into Canva?
You can import a text file into Canva by making sure it’s either a Word Document (.doc or .docx format), PowerPoint (.pptx format), PDF (.pdf format), or Adobe Illustrator (.ai format) file.
Then, go to Canva Home, select Create A Design, then scroll down the drop-down menu to select Import File. Then select and open your text file in Canva. Your text will be imported to Canva.
How Do I Open A Word Document In Canva Docs?
The best way to open a Word Document in Canva is to go to Canva Home, select Create A Design, then scroll down the drop-down menu to select Import File. Then select and open your Word Document file in Canva.
What Files Can Canva Import?
Canva provides a versatile platform for design, and as such, it supports importing various file types to cater to different design needs. Here are the files Canva can import:
- Image Files:
- JPEG/JPG: Commonly used for photographs due to its compact file size.
- PNG: Ideal for designs that require a transparent background.
- GIF: Animated image file. Canva allows you to import GIFs, but you can only export them in Canva Pro.
- SVG: A scalable vector format. Some complex SVG files may not be rendered correctly in Canva.
- BMP: Bitmap image file, though it’s less common than JPEG or PNG.
- Video Files:
- Canva supports importing MP4 and GIF files as videos.
- Audio Files (for Canva presentations and videos):
- MP3: The most common audio format.
- AAC: A format often used for iTunes and other platforms.
- M4A: Often used for audio in Apple products.
- OGG: Open-source audio format.
- WEBM: An audiovisual media file format from Google.
- Brand Files (specifically for Canva Pro users):
- Canva Pro users can set up a Brand Kit which allows you to upload custom fonts and logos. The accepted formats for fonts are TTF (TrueType Font) and OTF (OpenType Font).
- Word Document
- Adobe Illustrator
- PowerPoint Presentations
- It’s crucial to mention that while you can import these files into Canva, how you can manipulate or interact with them varies. For instance, while images can be cropped, resized, and filtered, the editing capabilities for audio and video files are relatively basic.
- Always ensure that you have the appropriate rights or permissions to use any media you upload to Canva, especially if your design is for commercial purposes.
Can You Copy Text Into Canva?
Yes, copying text into Canva is a straightforward process, enabling users to easily integrate written content from other sources into their designs. Here’s how you can do it:
- Copying Text from an External Source:
- Open the document or source from where you wish to copy the text. This could be a word processor like Microsoft Word, a web page, or any other source.
- Highlight the desired text.
- Copy it using Ctrl + C on Windows/Linux or Command + C on a Mac.
- Pasting Text into Canva:
- Navigate to Canva Docs, or go to your existing Canva design, or start a new one.
- Click on the canvas or select an existing text box where you’d like the content.
- Paste the copied text using Ctrl + V on Windows/Linux or Cmd + V on a Mac.
- Editing and Formatting:
- Once you’ve pasted the text into Canva, you can edit and format it using Canva’s text tools.
- Change the font, adjust the size, modify the color, and more to ensure the text typography integrates seamlessly with your design.
Note: While copying and pasting text is easy, it’s essential to be aware that complex formatting or special elements (like tables or unique bullet points) from word processors might not be retained when pasted into Canva. After pasting, always review and adjust the formatting in Canva as necessary to achieve your desired look.
So, the answer is a definite yes! You can effortlessly copy text into Canva, making it convenient to combine pre-existing content with your creative designs.
How Do I Convert Word To PDF In Canva?
You can convert Word to PDF in Canva by first importing your Word Document file to Canva and then downloading it as PDF in Canva. Here are the steps to follow:
- Import Word to Canva:
- Go to Canva Home, select the Create A Design button
- Select Import File button and select your Word Document to open it
- Format and Design:
- Customize your design with fonts, colors, and other elements in Canva to match your desired look.
- Canva offers various design elements, images, and templates to enhance your content.
- Export as PDF:
- Once satisfied with your design, click the Download button at the top right corner of the screen.
- From the dropdown menu, select PDF Print or PDF Standard depending on your needs.
- Click Download again to save your design as a PDF file.
Can I Edit A PDF In Canva?
You can edit a PDF in Canva if you’ve created the PDF with editable text and images and graphics that are adjustable. For the PDF to be editable in Canva, the original content that was exported to the PDF has to be editable.
Let’s say you are using Word Document to work on your file, before exporting the file as PDF, do not embed text and images. Also, if you are using Adobe Illustrator to create the PDF, do not Create Outlines for the text.
After saving the file as PDF, upload it to Canva using the Import File function and you can edit the text and adjust images in Canva.
Additional Canva Design Blogs
I can tell you firsthand that the Canva team has been quick to update their software to allow you to import files of other popular formats — so I’m glad you landed on this article to learn how to do that.
If you’re looking for more info on using Canva to design your assets, check out these additional Canva design guides: